Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Freedom Of Speech, Guys

(Moving things over from my old blog)

This girl that is friends with a lot of my friends used to be my friend on FaceBook. But I didn't actually know her, so I deleted her. Since then, I have denied requests from her twice. Today, she messaged me telling me to stop posting statuses bashing her dad, who is a local "political cartoonist." I put that in quotes because he has no idea about politics.
Naturally, being the kind of guy that is open about his opinions, I let her know that I don't care who he is related to, especially if I don't know them. If I have an opinion, I'm going to express it regardless of who witnesses it. I may have also said something about how apparently, seeing as she didn't understand free speech, political ignorance runs in the family. Oops.
Anyway, she replied saying that she knows not everybody is going to agree with her dad. Thing is, nobody knows what his actual views are, because he doesn't seem to know what is actually going on in politics. I don't have a problem with his views themselves; I never get pissed at somebody for being conservative and whatnot. The reason her dad pisses me off is that he has a career making witty remarks about politics, but he has no idea what he is saying. That's like me being a bartender without knowing what alcohol is.
As always, I do have a point to this post:
1) Nobody cares what you think about their opinions; they're still going to have them.
2) If you're going to have a job where you react to the public, it's a good idea to know HOW to do your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment