Monday, January 10, 2011

Violent Rhetoric

Since the Tucson shooting, the hot topic has been about the violent rhetoric. Most of the criticism I hear is towards the right, mainly because most of my friends are moderate liberals. But, there is no shortage of violent quotes from the left, too. I am about to quote many violent sayings from politicians or political news people, but first, a disclaimer: I realize that there are many more on here from the right than the left. This in NO WAY mirrors my beliefs; rather, it indicates how much more violent rhetoric comes from the right. I always try to be fair in my opinions, and this is no exception.

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” -President Barack Obama

"I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out." -Glenn Beck

"The nation is arming. What are they arming for, if it isn't that they are so distrustful of their government? They're afraid they'll have to fight for their liberty in more Second Amendment kinds of ways? That's why I look at this as almost an imperative. If we don't win at the ballot box, what will be the next step?" -Sharron Angle

"Don't retreat; instead, RELOAD!" -Sarah Palin

"And now we have what some are reading as a suggestion that somebody knock off Osama, uh Obama. Well, both, if we could." -Liz Trotta

"I know how the 'tea party' people feel, the anger, venom and bile that many of them showed during the recent House vote on health-care reform. I know because I want to spit on them, take one of their 'Obama Plan White Slavery' signs and knock every racist and homophobic tooth out of their Cro-Magnon heads." -Courtland Milloy

“We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.” -Ann Coulter

"I hope that's not where we're going, but you know if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying my goodness what can we do to turn this country around? I'll tell you the first thing we need to do is take Harry Reid out." -Sharron Angle

"Every night I get down on my knees and pray that Dennis Kucinich will burst into flames." -Glenn Beck

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one." -Rush Limbaugh

“We ought to tell every other Moslem (sic) living in this nation that if you say one word, you’re gone.” -Jimmy Swaggert

And then, of course, we have the everyday, run-of-the-mill common people, like in this instance.

Please, guys, stop with the violent rhetoric. Some of these people who listen to you are actually impressionable enough to believe you. Why can't we all just get along and stop all the fighting?

No comments:

Post a Comment